Please excuse me. I’m having a food-gasm over here.
It’s Day 2 with mygrill/panini press, and in another attempt to use up some leftovers, I accidentally recreated my second favorite pizza joint sandwich, vegan style:
The Godmother, from Nancy’s Pizza – Oven Baked Breaded Chicken Tenders with Red Sauce and Melted Mozzarella Cheese, served on Homemade Garlic Bread
Oh, yes. Yes. YES!
Not coincidentally, my ultimate favorite pizza joint sandwich also comes from Nancy’s. Of course, now that I’m neither eating chicken nor cheese, I will have to find a way to recreate this one as well:
The Chicken Club – Oven Baked Breaded Chicken Tenders, Fresh Bacon, Melted Mozzarella Cheese, Lettuce, Fresh Roma Tomatoes, and Creamy Garlic Sauce served on our Homemade Garlic Bread
I bet I could make a wicked-good vegan garlic sauce! The rest is cake, since I already figured it out.
– Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon
– Mom’s Marinara from Appetite for Reduction
– Daiya mozzarella (best vegan cheese evah!)
– A little bit of Earth Balance (vegan butter)
Mixed greens, a grated carrot, and a handful of alfalfa sprouts doused with Sanctuary Dressing (also from). The produce drawer in my fridge is looking pretty sad at the moment. Not even a cucumber to be found.
My veggie drawer typically contains:
– 1 bunch of kale (for making kale chips!)
– 1 cucumber
– 1 avocado (OK fine, avo is a fruit, so what)
– 1 red pepper (I know, I know! Red pepper is technically [botanically] a fruit too. But I eat it as a vegetable!)
– 1 bunch of broccoli
– 1 onion (yellow or white)
– 1 bunch asparagus
– Leafy greens (either an organic spring greens mix, or a mixed greens with spinach type thing)
– 1 bag of carrots
Those are my weekly go-to’s, mostly for salad purposes. Other veggies find their way into my fridge, but the list above is pretty much what I buy every week. Since there’s only one of me, I have to go to the grocery store weekly because I can only eat so much before it goes bad! Luckily, being a Perimeter Shopper at the grocery store, it’s easy to get in and out quickly. Sometimes the asparagus turns into green beans. Sometimes the broccoli becomes cauliflower. There’s usually 1 dinner veggie and a ton of salad veggies.
What’s in your veggie drawer?