Why is it that the best soups always seem to be a pain in the arse to make? Not so in this case, cowboy!
This soup has nothing to do with cowboys. It’s hearty enough for a cowboy, though.
Really. I’m not kidding. Yes, it’s a veggie soup. Yes, it’s hearty. Bonus: it’s vegan! And it is incredibly easy to make.
First up: saute some garlic and leeks and/or onions in a little olive oil.
Next, add broccoli, rolled oats (the original kind, not the instant kind), soy milk, and dill. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste, then puree with an immersion blender. Voila!
So filling. So good.
This recipe works great with asparagus, too. I suspect it would be great with any soup-happy vegetable. If you don’t have an immersion blender, a food processor or blender works too – just let the soup cool a bit before you process it, and make sure to have the steam vent open while blending.
Enjoy a soup-er meal!
Creamy Broccoli Soup (Vegan)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 leek, chopped and 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 leeks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 6 cups broccoli (frozen or fresh)
- 4 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Saute garlic and onions and/or leeks over medium heat in olive oil until soft, about 3 minutes.
2. Add broccoli, soy milk, oats, and dill. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is soft, about 10 minutes.
3. Puree with an immersion blender.
4. Add salt and pepper, to taste.